November 18th // Learning about hooks and thesis statements

 In today’s class, we learned about writing a good hook in order to attract our readers when writing essays. Specifically, we learned about the two different types of hooks; first the “funnel” type, and second, the “opposite of funnel” type. I would say that the funnel type is commonly used compared to the second one. Therefore when I heard about the “opposite of funnel” type, I was surprised but was also intrigued since I was looking for that type when writing short essays. (Which I will explain in more detail later)

 Firstly, to explain about the funnel type specifically, it is where you start off with a broad idea and gradually narrow it down to where you would call it the main claim. Here, you talk about your idea in detail and link it to your three reasons that help support your idea. I thought that this way of writing hooks is used widely across the world, as I have seen it being used in Japanese essays too. In addition, I thought that in comparison to the “opposite of funnel” type, it allows a wider variety of audiences to be attracted, since a wide themed hook means that there are bigger chances of people being interested in it. Therefore, the funnel type is commonly used compared to the second type, also allowing more audiences to be interested in the essay.

 Secondly, the “opposite of funnel” type is where you start off with a specific idea rather than gradually going into the details to the main claim. When using this technique, a lot of people mentioned that they think it is harder to use compared to the first one. The reason is because it is hard to grab the reader’s attention without using a wide-spread information. I also thought so, as when reading essays, I do not see them being used often enough too. On the other hand, I thought that this type is convenient to use when writing essays that require a certain word count. This is because when using the funnel type, it takes more time to get to the main claim. However, with this type you are able to get to the main claim almost directly, therefore meaning it will require less words. In sum, I learned that the second type is not so bad and also has it’s uses.

 Overall, learning about the two types of hooks; the “funnel” type and the “opposite of funnel” type, I am now able to separate and understand the differences of the two types myself. Further more, by learning about the characteristics of good hooks, I am now able to write a better hook compared to before, that will help attract more readers and bring enjoyment while reading, to the audiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pechakucha Presentation last day

Pechakucha Presentation Day 1

Part 1 Chapters 1-2